Wednesday, August 2, 2006

What Day Is It?

My buddy, Bruno, from  Brunos' Blusterings left me this comment this morning!
 
 
Comment from: bruno64056rs
"Come on, Dawn! It's been 3, going on 4, days since your last entry! Whattsa matter, ya' gettin' old and cranky, and just don't give a rip---like ME?!

Nothin' better than a cheap-shot to start, or end, the day!!!"
 
Yes, Bruno, you are right!  And, it was just the kick in the arse I needed to get me back to my journal! 
 
Yes, sometimes I am old, cranky and sometimes don't give a rip but that isn't it. 
 
I am flaring.  For those of you, who don't know what that means, a flare is when your disease, Rheumtoid Arthritis, in my case, rears its ugly head and gives you a big ole' smack down!
 
The last few weeks have been hectic and my body is telling me to slow down.  Also, the heat wreaks havoc with the disease, too.  It doesn't mix well with my medicines, either.
 
So, I am sore, tired, and in more pain than usual.  My hands, wrists, elbows, feet and ankles are swollen.  The worst part is that while awake and doing stuff, I can cope, but when I got to lay down to sleep, the hell begins. 
 
Everything pain and throb feels worse without the busy world buzzing around to distract me.  You would think that once youfall asleep it ends right?  Wrong.
 
I wake up after maybe 2 or 3 hours and I am stiff and in worse pain.  Sometimes, I get up and walk around and that is enough.
 
Sometimes, I just lay there for another hour or so until my mind can finally just shut down from exhaustion. 
 
Sometimes, I just grab a book and read for a bit until the exhaustion sets in again.
 
The best sleep I get is usually in the morning after Hubby leaves and before the kids start the ritual of waking me up every 30 minutes to let me sleep late.  I am usually so completely exhausted by then that my brain finally is able to just let me pass out.
 
So, that has been my last few days. 

Yesterday, was 100 degrees and today is supposed to be higher as is tomorrow.  The humidity makes it feel about 15 degrees higher, according to the weather people, and I believe them.
 
It is awful!
 
If you are in this heat wave, remember to drink a lot of water or Gatorade type stuff, and to stay as shaded and air conditioned as much as you can.
 
My Hubby just spent the entire morning on a roof on Lexington Avenue in NYC because the crew working on a roof door couldn't figure out how to do the job properly.  He was there for 5 hours and is hot and cranky.  I can't blame him.  That had to suck.
 
My thoughts are with anyone else struggling to work through this heat.
 
be well,
Dawn

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Dawn - just don't fight it sweetie, and know that your friends are in complete sympatico!  It's as hot here in NJ as there, so thanks for the reminder about water, time to refill.  Stay sane, try to find a place in your life to just relax and let all that pain be itself, don't push against it - I promise it'll ease up, flow right out of you.  God bless, CATHY

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I get that way, too, when I eat too much cheese, and get constipated!!! NO, I APOLOGIZE!!! That was yet ANOTHER cheap shot! I, too, have advanced arthritis, though not rheumatoid(sorry, had to look that up! Looks good!) And, you ALMOST have as much class as Debbi, over on "I Am Still Here." But, I've got confidence in ya! Keep hackin' away at it!

Anonymous said...

Still wishing they would come up with a magic pill that would stop the disease..I have slight touches of it in my hands and hips...but not like yours. Please feel better...thinking of you...Sandi

Anonymous said...

Its hot here too:( try and stay cool and the flare needs to go away :) ARE YOU LISTENING FLARE!!!!! GO AWAY!!!!!! lol hope it listens and you feel better soon

Deb

Anonymous said...

I sometimes go several days without an entry too. But, I don't have the excuse you do.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

(((Dawn))) To have a flare is bad enough; to have a flare in a heat wave has got to be just downright awful. Hoping your health will return back to baseline very soon.

in the meantime, take your own advice and make sure in this heat you are drinking plenty of fluid yourself and avoiding the outside as much as possible. I do hope you have air conditioning

betty

Anonymous said...

I live in California--we had our heat wave a few weeks ago..  IT WAS TERRIBLE!  I hope the weather cools down soon for you, and I hope you get to feeling better!  Take care.. Julie :)  

Anonymous said...

Still 100+ in NY ....
I 'm so sorry for all your pain, I hope you will feel better soon
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Big hugs. Wish I could wave a magic wand and make that pain go away. Seems like everything hurts more when you try to sleep but I hope you will feel better very soon.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Awww, feel better soon hun!!

Lv Ste
xxx

Anonymous said...

((((Dawn))))
Thanks for personally sending me your update..sometimes it's what I need to get to it fast without sorting through the others lol. Feel free to send me your updates in email whenever you can.
I hear 'ya with these heat waves. Wooh! Awful, yes, awful. I have not gone to the beach this past week but my kids and I were ready to just jump in the water-- get soak and drenched...but I was too lazy to drag everything to the beach! (ya know, chairs, cooler, towels, etc) so..I inflated the 8 ft walmart pool I got early spring and jumped in it when it was only halfway filled. So, last night my skin was soo smooth from soaking in the water for good two hours LOL!
I think the heat waves makes almost everyone cranky. I love spring and fall weather. I agree with you that weather's summer heat is usually higher than predicted.
Okiedokie, Dawn dear..you take care.
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn, It is so nice to hear from you, but I am sorry you are having a bad time.

Why does it drive children crazy for their moms to sleep?
Marti

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn, It is so nice to hear from you, but I am sorry you are having a bad time.

Why does it drive children crazy for their moms to sleep?
Marti

Anonymous said...

Me too Darlin'.  Hang in there!


xoxoxo,

andi

Anonymous said...

Aw, Dawn, this heat has got to be totally miserable for you.  You really amaze me at just how much you do despite all the pain you suffer.  Hope you get yourself into some of remission soon.  LOL...I just love Maxine....HUGS  Chris

Anonymous said...

I knew you were MIA for a reason. And this reason sucks! I wish I could take the pain away.

Showing U Mucho Love.....

Brenda

Anonymous said...

I hope your feeling back to your happy self soon.  Linda

Anonymous said...

((((((((((Dawn dear)))))))))))  I'm soooo sorry the flare is here.  I am praying for the flare to go away very soon.  I did get the journal alert dear.
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

This is summer and it is hot. In your case I guess it is very humid and probably raining. You have every right to be a little cranky if you wish. I do understand that with the kids around all the time you don't get much time to be off on your own. Sounds like time for a swim in the pool. Maybe that would make your arthritis feel a little better? Hope the pain goes awya soon. Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dawn,
HugggggggggggggS! I ope youg et to feeling beter soon! and I hope you have abreak in the wather up there!
I will be sending positive thoughts your way!
love and hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dawn,
HugggggggggggggS! I ope youg et to feeling beter soon! and I hope you have abreak in the wather up there!
I will be sending positive thoughts your way!
love and hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dawn,
HugggggggggggggS! I ope youg et to feeling beter soon! and I hope you have abreak in the wather up there!
I will be sending positive thoughts your way!
love and hugs,natalie