Friday, November 10, 2006

Salute to Veterans

Happy Veteran's Day!

My dad is a Navy veteran of Vietnam, he just caught the beginning and was involved in an evacuation.

My Uncle Ed, my mom's brother, did two tours in Vietnam, and was in-country.  He also served the Army Reserves for 25 years.

My Uncle Larry was in the Navy and served in Korea.

I salute the veterans of the past, mine and yours, and those unknown but to their loved ones.

Thank you.

I salute every man and woman today who puts on the uniform of our country to serve at the will of our government and protects us.

Thank you and may you come home to your loved ones one day.

Anytime we see a man or woman in uniform the kids and I always walk over to them and say, 'Thank you for serving, have a good day!' 

I recommend it to you all, too.

Btw, politics and serving our country have nothing to do with one another.  Do not take out the will of 'politicians' on those who serve.  That is a travesty.

be well,
Dawn

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for serving, and God Bless.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Nicely Said!   :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

My son is in The Royal Navy, so this is a subject close to my heart.

Here in England we have Remembrance Day on Sunday, when wreaths are laid to commemorate the fallen in all Conflicts. I have two great uncles that never returned from The First World War. You might like to try to read a poem written about those WW1 veterans from my local area, although I'm not sure how easy it will be to translate for Americans but it's worth trying.

Linda x.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/

Anonymous said...

very nice:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

That was nice. I'm glad that my own veteran husband has a day off today. We are enjoying it very much.

Anonymous said...

Happy Veteran's Day!!  You are right, today is not a holiday reserved just for "early Christmas shopping!"  Thanks for reminding us what this holiday truly is!  Julie :)  

Anonymous said...

Simple, and to the point, Dawn. Couldn't, and wouldn't, add a thing to it, pretty much covers 'em all! And the point made about the will of the politicians: That was right-on the head! But it always seems to sink to that level---hopefully, with this war, it won't happen, but I don't count on it! Guess only time will tell!

Anonymous said...

Wow Dawn! I'm duly impressed wiht your family heritage once again! Awesome! I had acousin who served in Nam and i was very hard he said. I have family who served in WWII also.Please thank your relatives for me.
Thank you veterans for protecting us and fighting to preserve our way of life. I was thinking Dawn that without these brave men , these great freedoms that we all take for granted might have been taken from us long ago.
thank you!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

My father was a Navy Vet of WW 2 and Korea....he had put in 20 years when Vietnam rolled around and retired.
This is a wonderful tribute to our vets, thank you :)

Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Dawn, very well said!  I agree with you completely.

Anonymous said...

Happy Veterans day to you too.

Anonymous said...

Happy Veteran's Day back at ya a day late.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dawn! I spent Veteran's Day with my active duty soldier. Who was home for the weekend. Every man in my family has served or is serving. We have a very long military tradition. Figures that I'd go and marry a soldier. (Just don't try to tell mine that he's a hero. He'll tell you he's just another guy who's just doing his job. He's a hero.)

Hugs,
Me.

Anonymous said...

Great tribute Dawn.