Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Books - A Meme Part 2

Back again, just a few left.

Comment from: wwfbison
"The Wild West...the one period I would travel back to if we could do time travel.
Lisa"

This one was harder than I thought it would be, Lisa!  I have lots of books that mention different 'Wild West' ish type stuff, but nothing really of that era in non-fiction.  

However, then I remembered a great book! 

Historical fiction writer, Jeff Shaara rocks!  This book, 'Gone for Soldiers' is set in 1848 in Texas during the Mexican American War.  It may be a part of Wild West history that you have not explored.  My favorite part is how all the men working together as US Army, infantry and calvalry, meet again 12 years later often opposing each other in the Civil War. 

Also, fabulous books to be read by Jeff Shaara, 'Gods and Generals' about the beginning of the Civil War up to the day before Gettysburg, and 'The Last Full Measure' starting the day after Gettysburg.  Gettysburg itself is the focus of 'Killer Angels' written by Michael Shaara, Jeff's dad, shortly before he died.

Comment from: sunnyside46
"Biographies of famous people from the sixties...
Marti
http://journals.aol.com/sunnyside46/MidlifeMusings/"

Nope.  You got me, Marti!  I have lots of people early than the 60's... maybe a few sports heroes, but most from before or after the 60's!  Dang it!  I thought I had Professor Richard Feynman's autobiography or biography, but I can't find it.  Dang.  He was a really cool and funny professor of physics from California Institute of Technology that began the true exploration of quantum theory, and made it more readily accessible to physics students (like Hammer) and regular people, like you and I, who might be interested in it.

Also, Leigh... I don't read Judi Piccoult, so, I don't have  any book to recommend along that vein either!  Ack! 

Linda (swmpgrly), I guess those were the only ones that I struck out on!  Not bad!!  LOL

Here is a picture of one of the four main library type areas we have in the house:

That is just a partial view, too.  The top was too messy to share!  LOL  Lots and lots of books around here! 

I wanted to add pictures and reviews of some of my absolute favorite non-fiction books.  I will do that sometime after vacation though! 

There is much packing, laundry, organizing, etc, that needs to be done before we go to Vermont!  Ack!

be well,
Dawn

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

::sigh:: I guess I'll just have to go raid the local library.  You Do Have Alot of books, which I think is totally cool.  I hope you get all that prevacation stuff done, and if I don't get back here before then, have yourselves a wonderful time, take pictures and have a safe trip!
                                                        Smiles,  Leigh

 

Anonymous said...

I need to try some historical fiction but I tend to just glaze over.
Traci

Anonymous said...

WTG Dawn!! that was fun to read all the comments about books and what you found; thanks for this!! I can't wait to read your book of recommendations in the future after your vacation

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a lot of books and I would love love love to read Gods & Generals!!!!  Have a happy and safe trip....
Lisa

Anonymous said...

That was great Dawn. Thanks.

Hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out your recommendations - thanks!!  You did a great job with this Dawn.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I too love NF historicals and regular fiction. And, you are right, finding a really good NF historical is hard to do sometimes. Right now I am finishing up on <a href="http://www.yuantsungchen.com/">Return to Middle Kingdom</a>, by Yuan-tsung Chen. Yuan-tsung Chen's portraits have the power and subtlety of a master historical novelist, the book is a sheer pleasure to read. I highly recommend it for your next NF read.

Anonymous said...

ok what book dont you have...lol

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a super time in Vermont xx

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife